Every once’t in awhile, I come across some life lesson/self-discovery stuff that really makes sense — and in this case, sense enough to share. A friend sent this to me yesterday, from a site run by a guy named Craig Harper, a motivational speaker from Australia. The article is called “Getting Out of My Own Way.” Really makes you think. I plan to implement many of these into my own personal goal set. Behold:
What to Do?
So, if (like me) you’ve been known to shoot yourself in the foot from time to time (or maybe all the time) here are twenty-two no-brainers to help you overcome the cycle of self-sabotage. Some of you might want to put this list in a prominent place where you’ll see it often – like (stapled to) your forehead.
1. Stop being a people-pleaser.
2. Stop waiting for the right time.
3. Choose your attitude.
4. Stop relying on (or waiting for) motivation.
5. Get uncomfortable.
6. Stop being so safe.
7. Be prepared to fail.
8. Find the lesson.
9. Ask better questions.
10. Stop looking for approval, permission, protection and praise.
11. Learn your own truth.
12. Be solution-focused, not problem-obsessed.
13. React better.
14. Don’t sulk – seek.
15. Control what you can, let go of what you can’t.
16. Invest your emotional energy wisely.
17. Stop waiting for people to care.
18. Don’t wait for opportunities – create them.
19. Talk less. Listen more.
20. Don’t do what’s easy. Do what works.
21. Stop giving away your power.
22. Identify your core values. Live in alignment with them.
So do you see yourself in any of these? I think they represent some good advice, especially for those of us who fall victim to self-sabotage on occasion (or even regularly).
Week’s almost done. Jakey stays with Grammie tomorrow night. Fun times.
That is a GREAT list! Some of them are already in play, some I NEED to implement ASAP. A couple of them are gonna be SOOooo hard, though (take #1 for instance….)
I hear ya, friend. #1 can lay you low. And 17 is a big problem for me, too, being in education/performance. Never ends, I tell ya!
Maybe I’m just crazy, but some of the things on this list seem to contradict others. My point of view is completely out of control, so who knows.
You’re right. You’re crazy. :->
A very helpful and insightful list to guide one’s self-improvement. Thanks for sharing it.