Yes, I am crabby this morning. I embrace it. I marinate in it. And as the boo-hoo quotient is abnormally high today, I will go so far as to say I’m justified in being so.
I’ve said this before: I think that in order to glean the most from the human experience, one has to, as BFF Kay is wont to say, feel all the feelings on occasion. Some of us feel the need to feel all the feelings quite often, which could explain the high incidence of mental and emotional instability in artists. It’s the reticence to be that big ball of public high anxiety that results in my infrequent blasts of snark on this forum. Gotta release the pressure, or it gets funneled into the choir rehearsal, which is never a good thing.
So maybe I should just go with the research and snark out a curse word to make me feel better (although reading the word “Webicine” just makes me mad all over again). Oy.
Know what I dislike?
- Rude, inconsiderate, unkind people. Now listen here. I try (I don’t always succeed, but I am constantly trying) to make it so the experience of having contact with me does not make a person want to run away screaming into the night. Or reach for an awl. But even I have my limits. What have I ever done to YOU? (Not you you, but “you” collectively. I know, I know: you get it, move on.)
- Being able to get to sleep fine, but once I wake up, I’m up (today it was 2:15 a.m.).
- Verizon Wireless, because they’ve got so many of us by the throat and they know it. Somewhere, Ayn Rand is smirking.
- The fact that being rude, inconsiderate and unkind is not some kind of misdemeanor. If people were fined — or better yet, jailed — for being mean, we’d see a lot fewer insensitive, uncharitable displays. Either that, or we’d need a lot more prisons.
- Election years
- The fact that many of my students can recount with pinpoint accuracy everything that Snooki and The Sitch have done for the last three years, but cannot identify the last three US presidents
- The fact that we have exactly one weeknight rehearsal this week with the full cast due to athletic events, and learning last night that our lead has to instead go to a meeting for Buckeye Boys State. <insert maniacal, psychopathic laughter by two directors, waving pistolas and jumping off the Cliff of Insanity>
- Samuel French, for putting out the most hideously written and poorly edited script and score for a musical, and having the unmitigated gall to charge an arm and a leg for the privilege of going through it page by page and making improvements
Oh my, she’s such a drama llama, yes? Yes. I claim it. I corner its market. But please — misery loves company today. Please make me feel like less of a loser and contribute a witty rejoinder about something that bugs you this fine Wednesday. I promise tomorrow’s post will be sunnier if you do.
Well, it is Grease. It’s a play that was meant as a parody of 50s nostalgia but thanks to the people who made the movie not realizing it, it’s now played straight by nearly everyone, something that Samuel French probably noticed and they then made changes of their own. But that’s my own bellyache. I really don’t like Grease regardless of who did it.
1. Ayn Rand was *born* smirking….
2. I ordered a (historical replica) treadle sewing machine and cabinet once from a mail-order company. It arrived in three huge and heavy boxes. The instructions were all in Chinese. I. Kid. You. Not.
3. One of my piano students arrived last week for her lesson all in a flutter. She was on the tech crew for her school’s production of The Music Man. A week before, she had learned that one of the leads (Marcellus) was going to miss the *opening night* because he had a meeting with the military group he’d signed up for. The opening night was the evening of the lesson, and when she asked the teacher what they were going to do about Marcellus, the teacher said, ‘What about Marcellus?’. Apparently the kid hadn’t told the teacher anything about the meeting leaving her to discover this *4 hours before curtain from another student*. Makes me glad I’m a private teacher.
4. The worst swear word in the world is “Korj”. It is not widely known because it is so bad, no one uses it.
Back from the edge of the abyss that is the Cliff of Insanity, with many stories to tell….